Recently I’ve been taking a lot at just how much I use the internet. How much more productive I am because of it, and how much less I’m accomplishing because of it. These days, I do everything on the web, banking, keeping up with friends, research, reading, listening to music, watching videos, buying concert tickets… the list goes on much longer. So, what did I do in the days before I had internet in my home?
- I tried to see the image in a Magic Eye.
- I had a dog, whom I spent time with and walked outside (note – she lives with my mom).
- I rented movies.
- I talked on the phone a whole lot more.
- I went to the mall more often.
- I had a library card and actually used it.
- I played the piano.
- I went to bed before 11 pm.
- I was amused by things like hypercolour shirts.
- I bought a lot of crap I didn’t need (I loved little gimmicks and trinkets).
- I bought CDs (although I’ve only stopped buying them in the last 2 years).
- I did more crafts.
Many of these things had to do with the age I was at as well, and how my lifestyle has change since then. But I’m wondering, without so much time online, are there any of those things that I’d still be doing? What did you do before the internet was a common household service?